Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What can I do to help make my church a good church?

1. Love God and; Love Others. Matt. 22: 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. It is not our job to notice what others are or are not doing. What can I do to help is the question?

2. Praise and; Worship. An old gray haired preacher said to me when I was young… “Oh for a praiseful church”. It still rings in my ears thirty years later. I want to be one of those Christians. Real praise and worship have been so distorted these days that many churches have given up and don’t even try. Two types of false worship have all emotion on one side and the teaching that attending church is worship on the other.

3. All guilty. James 2: 10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. Knowing this and practicing it are two different things. Some sins have more results on earth than others but all are equal before God and should be equal to us. Neither you nor I are any better than anyone else. Only in the case of unrepentant ongoing sin is there room for us to speak up. If the sin is not ongoing repentance is not our issue.

4. Attitude of servant. In this modern consumer world, churches are often chosen by what they can do for me rather than what I can do for God. Jesus is the head and we are the workers. We are not the bosses. We have a job to do so let’s get at it and quit demanding what we want. Matt 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

5. Never get offended. When I start to get offended, or heaven forbid if I do get offended, God tells me, “Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.” Ps 119:165 Notice it says nothing. This means that if I get offended I am not getting enough Bible. The problem then must be with me, not the other person.

2 comments: