Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Motives

Poor motives, good motives, better motives, or best motives…

I used to talk to God a lot about my motives… I often didn’t know myself if they were pure. Then I realized that I frequently had many motives at the same time and that was why I was confused.

When going to church was it because God asked me to, was it because I liked it and had fun there, was it because I wanted others to notice or maybe some of each of these and others.

In most cases many of the motives are present all at once, and all that we can do is keep trying to improve.

Some get saved because they are afraid of hell, that is good.
Some get saved because they want God to like them, that is good too.
Some get saved to become a friend of God, that is even better.
Some get saved to become a friend of God and therefore to be more able to help others, that is even better again.
Some get saved because God said to, that is the best.

Many of these motives are good but some are better. If you got saved because you were afraid of hell you can always start trying to do things because God said so and therefore be working on your motives.

No comments:

Post a Comment